Islamic Relief USA has long distributed food for Ramadan around the world. This year, for the first time, the program is bringing food to Americans in need.
Volunteers packaged 3,000 boxes full of food in the two weekends before Ramadan, and these packages are now being delivered around the country. The first boxes were handed out on the first day of Ramadan in Virginia.
“It felt very good to give the boxes to people, seeing thåe smile on their faces and hearing them say thank you in many languages,” said Naeem Muhammad. “We had people from many backgrounds and faiths.”
Nicole was at the first distribution, picking up food to put in the pantry of the home she recently moved into through another IRUSA program, Pathways to Success.
“I was homeless for a little over 5 years, and I just got housing across the street through Pathways program,” she said with a proud smile. “They referred me over here for some food.”
Below are the vlogs from the road. To learn more follow the hashtag #IRUSABusTour.
You can help get more Ramadan food packages to more people across the country.
Don’t forget to share this page and check back often for updates!
- July 4th 2015 Atlanta, GA
- June 27th 2015 Memphis, TN
- June 27th 2015 Raleigh, NC
- June 26th 2015 Sunrise, FL
- June 26th 2015 Herndon, VA
- June 24th 2015 Baltimore, MD
- June 23rd 2015 Clifton & Jersey City, NJ
- June 19th & 20th 2015 Chicago, IL
- June 21st 2015 Boston, MA
- June 19th 2015 Buffalo, NY
- June 17th 2015 Falls Church, VA
- June 6th 2015 Springfield, VA